Friday, September 5, 2014

Fragrance of Roses -Paint Party Friday

 
This is a colored pencil drawing I made for Valentine's Day this past February.  I believe I've posted this one in the past, but this morning, looking out my window at the vibrant roses of Fall, I decided to post her again.  My inspiration was a vintage postcard from early 1900's.  This beautiful woman is the grown up version of the little girl I love to draw.


Here is a peek into my sketchbook from 2011.  This is the little girl I wrote about above. You can find her image all over the internet.  I often wonder who she was, but all records of her family were destroyed in WW2.   I don't know how I ended up with my drawing backward--I seem to remember printing a reference picture to take on a trip with me, so likely I printed it flipped somehow.  Drawing does help the miles go by faster!

Here is the actual postcard which inspired me--perhaps you recognize her dear little face.  My own beloved niece looks nearly identical to this sweet girl.  Perhaps that is why I love these postcards so much.

Have a lovely day and Happy Paint Party Friday!

21 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful wok, Beth. Love the lady with the roses and the little girl is gorgeous.Valerie

Unknown said...

SO sweet I especially love those roses. Great piece!
xo Tam Hess
Happy Paint Party Friday!
CardMakingArtists.com

Giggles said...

Oh Beth these are beautiful and yes that little girl is adorable as is your sketch...love it! Thanks for sharing!

Hugs Giggles

denthe said...

That first painting is very art-deco-ish .... One of my favorite styles.... :-)

Lois said...

You are so talented Beth!

Tracey FK said...

your style is so distinctive and line work so beautiful... I find it such a pleasure to visit...xx

Abigail Davidson said...

Beautiful inspiration and illustrations! Lovely details in the flowers and her hair. So gorgeous!

Claire said...

I love Art Nouveau and your pictures are just gorgeous! And I love seeing the original postcard :) Thanks for visiting - hope you're having a great week!

Christine said...

Just lovely sketches Beth! Aww.

DVArtist said...

Ohhh Beth your art is so exciting. These girl's faces so beautiful. Full of life and soul.
Nicole/Beadright

minnemie said...

Wow, Beth, you do folds and hair so well! Lots for me to stare at and learn from!

JKW said...

The little girl and the grown up woman are a beautiful idea. I read your script. . . I too am a barefoot girl, everywhere. You are an amazing woman. Thanks for the visit. Blessings, Janet PPF

kat said...

So lovely and full of poetry!

Paper rainbow said...

Reading the comments I agree the first roses piece does look very art deco. I love the design.

Leovi said...

I love with those red roses, wonderful portrait!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I always enjoy the romantic feel of your work. That little girl and her drawing are definitely gorgeous. Blessings!

Carol said...

Love both pieces!!! I love using old photographs for references. I recently received copies of Old Family pictures that I can't wait to work with. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Gillena Cox said...

really nice, luv the first one a lot, thanks for stopping over at my blog

much love...

Tammie Lee said...

so lovely to see your art, whether it has been posted before or not. art is meant to be seen over and over again if it is as dear as these. xo

Katie Jeanne said...

So very pretty. I love how you drew inspiration from the photo, but put a twist on it, and made it your own.

SusuPetal said...

Oh, such sweet lines and colors, so delicate! Talent!