Friday, February 22, 2019

Itty Bitty Fairy on Birch Bark -Paint Party Friday


One of the things I LOVE to do is to try different kinds of paper, some straight from nature, such as that which the paper wasp makes.  This time I used bark from a paper bark birch tree.  At certain times of the year, one can peel this beautiful paper-thin bark from the tree's trunk.

Once it is peeled from the tree, one must put it between dry paper, with weights upon it to straighten the bark.  There is a thin layer of whitish powder on the bark, so once it is straightened, I use a soft cloth to gently remove it.  Once that is done I am free to draw upon it. 

In this case, I loved the clutter of curls on the side, so I didn't try to straighten, or flatten the bark.  This is a lineart drawing of my sweet little friend Madrona.

I am feeling much better today.  I finally went to the doctor, who prescribed various medications--it is SO nice to have slept last night!

I hope you are having a blessed Saturday!  Thank you for dropping by.  I love hearing from you--you dear ones inspire me and keep me going!  Happy Paint Party Friday!



13 comments:

sirkkis said...

First of all I am so glad you feel better and hope you are well soon.
I love what you made with birch park. The angel on it is just fabulous. Love it 💙
Thank you for your kind words in my site. Happy upcoming week to 💝🍀

Valerie-Jael said...

I have never seen birch paper before, it's beautiful and so special. Your drawing is fantastic. So glad you are feeling better. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

peggy gatto said...

Oh my, lovely!

DVArtist said...

I very much like working with Birch Bark. Your fairy is perfect for this piece of bark.I am sorry you have been feeling poorly but glad you are on the mend. Healing energy your way.

Sue (this n that) said...

It must be such a relief to be feeling so much better Beth... a good sleep can do wonders xx
Your birch paper artwork is really beautiful and it feels so right in the subject you have chosen. I love the natural curls you've retained... a sweet touch. Be well and enjoy the week ahead xx

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Happy to hear you are feeling much better now. Birch paper sounds fascinating. Your line art looks fantastic on it, as if it was there on the paper all along.

-Soma

John R said...

Hi, Beth. Good to hear you're feeling better. This drawing is cute, and what a great idea to work on tree bark.

carol l mckenna said...

Glad to hear you are on the mend and what a delightful idea to sketch on tree bark!

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

NatureFootstep said...

hm thought I knew most things ablut birches but I never heard of paper bark birch. Googled on it and it is native to north america. That´s why I never seen it. You have to harvest a lot of it. :) Your drawing is gorgeous as always :)

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

The paper looks very interesting to work with. glad you're feeling better.

Christine said...

Lovely art on birch bark, I was always fascinated by this bark, that you can write on it.

Jennifer Rose said...

thats a really good idea for a substance for drawing on :)

Tarang Sinha said...

I'm glad you are feeling better now. Take care. And this is amazing ---Sketching on the bark of birch tree! :)