Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My Lady of the River


When the weather is warm, I often walk with my husband through downtown historic Independence. We stroll from there, over the great Independence Bridge. On the far side, the bridge curves down from its immense height, onto a road which ribbons through fragrant groves of blueberry bushes and peach trees.

One warm Fall day, I lagged behind, as my husband briskly walked ahead of me on the bridge.

I was overcome with the beauty of the morning. As I glanced down into the backwaters of the Willamette River I was arrested by the trace of a modestly lovely profile in the waters below the bridge.

I realized I had inadvertently surprised My Lady of the River, wearing a flowering crown of leaves over her graceful green tresses. So I took her picture.

Above you see her lingering in the waters as I first saw her.


7 comments:

Lois said...

She is so beautiful Beth!

Anonymous said...

Beth, this is a dream !The colors are so deep and rich and velvety and the lady is just too lovely to be "true"...

Sunny said...

You truly have a gift for finding even more beauty in beautiful things. Your Lady of the River is absolutely lovely.
Sunny :)

Deden said...

Your eyes are gifted Beth, she is so beautiful. I'm speechless again..

Anonymous said...

The colors are beautiful in the pictures. I liked this post.

Clytie said...

Absolutely beautiful. I've always loved this picture. I feel she is safe with you.

Catherine said...

OH my, Beth! This is absolutely captivating! I think I would stand at that bridge all day long... she is incredible with her flowing locks - Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing her!