Friday, June 17, 2016

Thumbelissa -Paint Party Friday

One of my favorite fairytales is the story of Thumbelina. The story chronicles the adventures of a tiny girl born in a velvety red tulip, in answer to her mother's wish and prayer.

She has many a perilous journey, but in the end she is rescued, flying away on the feathery back of a sparrow. Her friend brings her to a garden where the fairy folk live in the flowers. (I'm sure the garden must be mine...) There she meets and falls in love with a fairy prince. On her wedding day the fairies give the girl a pair of clear sparkling wings.

I have a collection of old fairytale books, and in the most ancient version, the tiny girl was called Thumbelissa. It's a toss-up as to which name is the most beautiful!

I am going to be out of town, so I'm posting this drawing from 2006.  My model was lovely Melissa, when she was a young girl.  I don't have the original reference pictures to share with you, but I'm sure you will  recognize her wonderful face.

I'm SO grateful for my life-in house sitters, for my watchful neighbors and the policeman who lives across the street.  It makes traveling so much easier to do.  

God bless you, dear ones.  Have a lovely week and Happy Paint Party Friday!

4 comments:

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

That's adorable! How sweet! :)

Giggles said...

Such a lovely piece with such a sweet face!! Have a wonderful trip...enjoy!
Thanks for sharing!

Hugs Giggles

DVArtist said...

Beth this is so precious. Great art on the dimensions.

Anonymous said...

Oh Beth I am sure she and her lovely story live in your beautiful garden, near the pond. She must have a hummingbird friend too... this is extraordinary. Love to you, Wendy