Monday, August 29, 2011

Chief Joseph in the Clouds


I showed this cloud painting to a friend of mine awhile back.  I had thought this fellow looked a bit like George Washington.  But she thought, instead, that this man looked like an Indian Chief.  Of course, I  thought of Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce Tribe.

Dad recently told me we are related to the Nez Perce Indians.  I feel honored to know Native American blood runs in my veins.  I have always felt a connection to Chief Joseph.  He was a noble man who fought hard for his people in a time of great change and transition.


In most of the photos and drawings I found of Chief Joseph, there is a profound sadness in his eyes.  When I read his story and the story of the Nez Perce peoples I understand why such deep grief is reflected there.

Above you see him as I first saw him in the clouds.  He is smiling.  That idea makes my heart happy.



2 comments:

Al said...

I love this one - I can see him, even in the unaltered image. You brought him out perfectly!

Karen Xavier said...

It took me a few minutes to find him... when he suddenly popped into view. I thought he looked like Washington too, but he could also pass for a kind Indian Chief. I should read about Chief Joseph...