Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Kindred Spirits

This is a picture I drew of our wonderful old Main Coon cat, Elvis. He has a whimsical friend, as you can see. I still miss that big fellow. He was more dog than cat.

To draw this picture of kitty catz, I started with a pencil sketch, inking in the lines I liked, then erasing the pencil marks. I used my beloved Prismacolors to add vibrant colors. In this drawing I put in the intricate lines of his fur after I'd added the color. This was difficult, because the tiny ink pens I used often clogged with the beezwax of the colored pencils.

I've discovered since then, the old fashioned ink pens with nibs, which are dipped into indelible ink. They can splatter, but sometimes the results of such a mistake can be wonderful. And they don't have problems when I use them to draw in details after the color has been added.

8 comments:

Lois said...

It's so beautiful Beth! Thank you for your kind words on my blog. I think you are pretty wonderful too and have also enjoyed your friendship. I am going to have to show your art to my son. He has always been an artist and got his college degree in studio art. He is especially good at drawing, although he hasn't done too much lately because he stays busy with his graphic design job and his fiancee. He's getting married in March.

Looking to the Stars said...

Cool artwork. Have a happy thanksgiving, kiddo

Sunny said...

I love your Kitty Catz! Always a joy to see your artwork.
Wishing you and your family a blessed Thanksgiving.
Sunny :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Beth,
These are so funny.. and brought a broad smile to my face. You are something else.
I love the paintings.
I could not go to bed tonight without saying Happy Thanksgiving dear friend.
Hugs, Darlene xo

Lydia said...

Love the cats. And their faces, and rich autumn colors.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. After a trying year, I hope it is a beautiful day together.

Clytie said...

I have always loved this picture. Happy Thanksgiving to you, sissie.

Dollores said...

Dear Beth,
Thank You,
I'm just getting on how to do all this. At 82 it takes a little longer to settel in.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Dollores

Nina said...

Oh the adventures and mischief these two hide behind their sparkling eyes. Such a story they both tell. Beautiful art my friend, beautiful. Love and Light, Nina P