Friday, December 14, 2018

A Beautiful and Ancient Story -Paint Party Friday


When I was a little girl, I could not figure out what all the hoopla was about Santa Claus. It was a charming story--but the problem was, I knew kids from school who were pretty good all year long (myself included), who did not get tons of Christmas gifts.  On the other hand, kids who were mean seemed to have it all!  I remember thinking, "If Santa is real, then he's not very fair."

"Us kids" didn't have much in those days--but thinking back--we were very happy. We were poor, but we didn't know we were lacking in anything. Some say my childhood memories sound like a fairy tale, or something out of a book.

As a child I loved the romance and danger of the ancient story of Joseph and Mary. I was intrigued by the singing angels, shepherds and the tiny baby miraculously conceived. Then there were wise men who followed a shining star to where the child lived. They brought him wonderful exotic gifts.

There was even a jealous, deceitful king who sought after the child's life--yet miraculously, through the intervention of angels, the family escaped certain death.

I am still filled with awe and wonder as I consider the mystery and beauty of that wonderful old story.

Merry Christmas sweet Friends.  May the beauty and mystery of the season fill your hearts with joy!  Thank you so much for dropping by.  Your visits are an encouragement to my heart! 

9 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

I think, with Christmas, there is something in there that would speak to almost anyone if you had ears enough to hear it.

I do wonder at my children's acceptance at how different Christmas is from home to home. Certainly they will not receive what many of their friends do, and there will be others who do with less. And yet they believe. Perhaps when we want to badly enough, we will believe in what we need to, what appeals to us, what feeds us.

Beautiful picture yet again.

xo
erin

Jeni said...

When I was a kid, growing up here in this little village, almost everyone else here was in pretty much the same financial boat as my family was so there was some disparity, but overall, not that much. That, plus parents around here then didn't believe in showering their children with presents to match the child's every whim either.
But with respect to your picture, I am in awe of that -and your talent. Beautiful depiction.

Deann said...

What a wonderfully tender drawing...very nice Sissy Bea.
The story of Jesus birth always held a fascination for me too. Along with the Sermon on the Mount and the Beattitudes. As a young child my family didn't attend church, but we had a white leather bible with gold pages that I thought was beautiful and the words of Jesus always held magic for me. "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." has always touched my heart.

Lois said...

That story is the reason for the celebration and this is a lovely drawing to remember it by!

Tammie Lee said...

I like the way you share about this story, from your youthful view. Such a lovely piece of art as always. I find you to endlessly talented.

Nina said...

The young Mother and her Holy Child so sweetly portrayed here. As I would expect them to be; a soft gentle youthful mother bowing her head towards her Kingly Child so filled with Love, Joy and Peace. You have captured the True meaning of Christmas here. Silent Night, Holy Night, All is calm, all is Bright.... Blessings to you and yours this Christmas Season and always. Love and Light, Nina P

Linda Kunsman said...

such a beautiful and poignant drawing and story dear Beth. Happy PPF!

Christine said...

Beautiful drawing, Merry Christmas Beth!

Clipping Path Service said...

Nice post.Keep sharing. Thanks