Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Daddy, Tell Me a Story

This Cloud Painting takes me back to when my children were small. Every night when we'd tuck them into their beds inevitably one of the kids would say, "Daddy, tell me a story..."
.
My husband is a wonderful storyteller and over the years, since they were tiny babies, Alan has told them bedtime stories about a mysterious Sea Captain. The Sea Captain became so real to them the kids once stopped a man to ask if HE was the Sea Captain.
.
Each of the Sea Captain stories had a theme. This evening the story was to teach the children to call upon God in times of trouble. The lights were were low. Alan lay on his back on the old waterbed, the girls perched on his outstretched arms. They were on a boat in the open sea.
.
Suddenly a storm blew up out of nowhere! The wind was ferocious, the ship began to rock. I provided the wind "sound effects." Alarmed the Sea Captain began to shout orders. Alan's up-flung arm became the mast, as our youngest daughter began to pull in the sails. On the other side, the eldest was ordered to "frappe" the boat as the waves of the sea grew higher and higher. Our young son, the official thundercloud, began to bounce up and down on Dad's feet. The lightning flashed! I flickered the overhead lights. And the thunder grew louder and louder!
.
The boat began to bounce and rock dangerously from side to side! The thunder growled and the clouds grew darker and darker. I switched off the bedside lamp. It began to rain furiously. The deck was so slippery no one could walk without being swept out to sea! Giant waves were splashing clear up over the ship!
.
"Nothing more can be done!" cried the Sea Captain. "What should we do?"
.
But all that rocking had put one little sailor nearly to sleep. She opened one eye, and with a huge yawn she replied, "Call 911!"

3 comments:

Grannie Annie said...

Oh Beth,
I just love this!!! Do you mind if I snitch it? (with full name credit of course) No pressure if you don't want to I understand.
Have a happy day. Best wishes ~ Deann

Clytie said...

Perfect. This story with photo should be published!

beth inman said...

Oh, I LOVE this story! I agree with everyone...you should publish it!